[Life]: EEE Family Day 2017

2/19/2017

I seldom blog about my part-time jobs, but this is one I feel like remembering.

As a Malaysian holding a Student Pass studying in Singapore, I am constantly working under NTU Work-Study Scheme (WSS) throughout my 4 years in university. The hours I spent working part-time in NTU are actually more than the hours I attended lessons in school. Serious, why attend classes when there are online recordings, especially when I can earn money to pay off my tuition fee and living expenses?! (which is super high for foreigners by the way, and I have not been getting even a single penny fund from my family these 4 years.)

Anyway, I was hired by the main organiser as the sole student videographer for this year's EEE Family Day 2017.

EEE Family Day is an annual whole-day event open for all EEE/IEM staffs and students. This event is one of the days where we get to enjoy free food, free games, free dinner, as well as the opportunity to win lucky draw prizes. This event is jointly organised by Pastoral Care and Career Advisory Office, Staff Welfare Committee, Logistics Support Committee, Graduate Students Club and EEE Academic Club.

Totally drained out by working as an event helper for 2 past Physics conferences, I did not expect to receive another job offer of the same week via Whatsapp. Apparently, I was recommended by an IEM staff as a videographer to the organiser. I was a little nervous because it has been a while since I last filmed a "proper" video for hired events. Plus, I have quite made up my mind that I am going to stop videography and have sold my Canon lens with image stabilisation (IS) function. I am only left with a prime lens -- Canon 50mm f1.8 II to do the job (and of course, my new point-and-shoot camera that cost more than my DSLR). But still, I did accept the job after much persuasion...

Many obstacles coped up along the way, including footages lost dues to the spoilt memory card in my borrowed GoPro camera, music copyright issues claimed by Youtube that created viewing restrictions on my video, video requirement of 5-10minutes, blah blah... The best consolation is that my "boss" is nice and friendly~

So, I do hope that this Youtube video highlighting EEE Family Day 2017 is acceptable! It's a bit shaky as I do not have a monopod... But, please enjoy~

Let me know your thoughts if you have watched the video! I am still contemplating if I should continue videography/design as a career in a media company, or if I should seek for a proper office job upon graduation... (Because you know, proper videography gears are very very expensive...)

36 comments

  1. I am impressed that you are earning your way through university. These skills will stand you in good stead when you join the working world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Experience gives you the skills you need for future endeavors, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been an amazing event! Everything looks amazing! Nice video! ◡‿◡✿

    Do you wanna follow each other via GFC or Bloglovin? Lemme know ♥
    * Yadah Vitalizing Mask Pack *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabrielle, thanks a lot for your compliment :) Sure, I have followed you on G+ and GFC but couldn't find your Bloglovin thou.

      Delete
  4. This family day looked like a very good fun and I really liked your video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment :) it's fun! Everyone enjoyed the free food especially xD

      Delete
  5. this so look like a whole load of good fun... nice video by the way....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap, it's fun :) thanks for the compliment! I had fun filming it too

      Delete
  6. Hello dear! And thanks for sharing your part time job story! Please continue on doing the videography.. its a continous learning :) You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, i like videography just that in order to earn from it, i have to invest a lot, which i might not able to earn back :( thanks for the tips!

      Delete
  7. Not too bad! I love the effort that you've put into your work :) GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the praise :) i did put in quite a bit more effort in this video as i got quite rusty in video editing haha

      Delete
  8. Hey ur video actually quite good leh! Maybe practice more to make more perfect? Keep it up, and believe yourself ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will need to purchase a gimbal and a lens with IS for a better video, unless I'm hardworkinh enough to carry my tripod around. Anyway, thanks! Guess i should continue learning :D

      Delete
  9. You are inspirational. Keep working hard towards your dreams.

    Your video is great!

    Wendy
    https://sisterlyserendipity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the praise :) I was hoping to make a better one with gopro footages, but the sd card spoilt and nothing was recorded :(

      Delete
  10. Beautiful captures! You have the eyes for great angles! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Guess my seniors trained me well before they graduate! Will continue learning :)

      Delete
  11. EEE Family Day 2017 seems like a nice event. love your video a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment :) it's one of the best event EEE host once per year

      Delete
  12. You can pick up skills everywhere. Even if you decide not to do videography as full time job after you graduate, you can still use your skills to get side money or part time job from it. Awesome video btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips :) i might consider further expanding my skills to turn it into freelance, but it will require quite a large sum of investment in the beginning..

      Delete
  13. Always love family day because it is fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to enjoy your family day once a week! :p

      Delete
  14. This is fun event as you get to enjoy free food, free game and many more activities.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your video. The event indeed looks happening and everyone was so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. practice makes perfect. if ur passion in video making, why not.

    kinda fun video btw. I advice next time make it a little shorter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a good opportunity to learn more skills when you are in university! grab the good chance!

    ReplyDelete
  18. how lucky you are. keep it up https://youtu.be/QqW6lXvI4N8

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know what you're going through but to do it in a different country is amazing! Never give up. Keep amusing us with a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are doing great even though you are new at this! Life is just about continue explore and enjoy to the fullest =D

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did a great job and keep in doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're definitely living life to the fullest by keeping your days busy from school to work.
    Enjoy your schooling life

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really enjoyed your video! If you're uncertain on which career path to take, why not try both and evaluate the pros and cons. An office job is more stable but it doesn't suit everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just happen to came across your blog and I saw your video!! i SO love it and thanks for accommodating to my changes! I think you are realllly very talented and I do hope we can collaborate in future..:) Regards, Geraldine

    ReplyDelete

Connect With Me!

Follow This Blog!

First To Know Budget Deals!